Friday, January 20, 2017

Make America Greater by Making the World Better

My Letter to the 45th President of the United States



Mr. President,

Congratulations on your election to the presidency.  Your decision to give up the perks of being a wealthy private citizen and to expose yourself to public scrutiny has earned my respect.  I know very little about you, but if a man can be measured by the character of his children, then I am confident that you are a good man who will work hard to improve the lives of all who call America home.

As I write this, you are preparing to promise to uphold, protect, and defend the constitution of the United States.  I believe you have dreamed of this moment from your youth.  As you take this oath, I whisper a prayer for your success.  

I confess my ignorance about what it takes to be a good president.  The depth of the issues you will face are beyond my ability to offer advice or opinion.  I only ask that you be a good man.  Be a good man and the rest will take care of itself.

You promised to make America Great, Again.  May I suggest that we can do that by making the world better?  We can be great, but we don’t have to do it alone.  Before cancelling treaties or building walls, think about who that will affect beyond our borders.  America won’t be great if it is prosperous at the expense of other peoples because America’s greatness is the manifestation of the idea that all people should breathe free.

Today, you are my president.  You have my best wishes and my earnest prayers.

Be well.


Sean

No comments: